My Photog Blog List

GServo's Photography & Art

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Photo Fu Training Session 1-12-10


The focus of this training session was to be Depth of Field. I

20100112-PhotoFu0039
20100112-PhotoFu0032“In optics, particularly as relates to film and photography, the depth of field (DOF) is the portion of a scene that appears acceptably sharp in the image. Although a lens can precisely focus at only one distance, the decrease in sharpness is gradual on each side of the focused distance, so that within the DOF, the unsharpness is imperceptible under normal viewing conditions.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field The Entry on Wikipedia is a great learning source for this
20100112-PhotoFu0046I can say I failed in last night’s training. I did not focus completely on the task at hand. I kept screwing around with the lighting instead of just letting it be, and I played with the exposure settings too much, and the raison d'être for this???  MY background and my tripod head.
BGR056 copyLet’s start with the background. I got these nylon backgrounds,which came with my table top photography studio kit thingy. They get  wrinkly so easily, but I just HAD to use a white back ground which had wrinkles that could not be ironed out. It was such a distraction. I kept trying to use exposure settings and light to wash it out. FAIL I should of just left it alone.  I have to find better backgrounds. Even if they have to be made for me.
My other problem, of the evening, was my Manfrotto 3-D Junior head, bah, I could not get that thing level. It was too much fuss for product photography. When I am outside with this tripod head, it works great, does what I need it to. The certainty of its goodness is not in question. How and when I use it is. I am thinking I have to find something more stable the I don’t have to adjust as much. I am convinced this will help me build a more efficient work flow.
So there you have it, I am going to work on getting a Black, blue, white, green and white background for product shots. I am hoping to get Muslin, but I will get whatever I feel works the best. Tripod head, well I have something by tomorrow night.







Created with flickr slideshow.

No comments: