My Photog Blog List

GServo's Photography & Art

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sold my Nikon 18-105mm VR Glass

I once read “…Lenses Are the Real Key to Stunning Photos … and I have come to learn how true this. The lens is what can travel from Camera body to Camera body , no matter the ISO, image noise, shot-per-second speed and image processing. You hold onto them they last. But if they don’t perform well, do you keep them? Me I am not planning to, and when it comes to the Nikon 18-105mm VR Glass , the Kit Lens that came with Cambot mk3 ( my Nikon D90) ,It’s now been sold. Sometimes the bad pictures were comedic, or horrifically horrible, collectively they are what led to the sale of this lens.

With the lens, in essence, being the eye of your camera, it’s good to have something that works well for you. My Problems with the Nikon 18-105mm VR Glass began at 18mm, there it’s really unclear at the corners, with strong barrel (bulging) It was sometimes ok with landscapes but most time it was just annoying. The Auto Focus is not speed fiend either.

I really noticed this the most after I received and started using my AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G a discontinued, but since Nikon made over a million of these, easy to find lens. “The Nikon 28-80mm G was sold as a kit lens with Nikon's cheapest film cameras. It was introduced in February 2001 and I suspect it was discontinued in January 2006 along with most of Nikon's film cameras.” . The AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G is my current every day lens.

The Nikon 18-105mm VR Lens was a great starter lens, but just did not measure up. I may replace it one day with either a Sigma 18-250 or Nikkor 18-200 VR but I do have a Sigma 70-300 which is not hard to carry around in case I need to zoom further than 80mm.

No comments: